Side Quest - Minecraft Modding

I've been getting a lot of extra free time now I'm not commuting every day, and I have been spending an awful lot of it playing Minecraft. I'm running a medium-size custom-built modpack with 2 of my housemates, and while looking at other modpacks I was tempted by the idea of making my own quest mod to guide progress and ease the gathering of some of the more obtuse mob drops.

Picking up Minecraft Forge again felt so familiar, and creating a mod from scratch was incredibly satisfying. Every time I've popped back previously, it has been in response to people asking for Flan's Mod updates, and updating is never a fun experience. Forge is really well designed to get you making what you want to make very quickly and takes away a lot of faff. Not all of the faff, mind you, and I don't even want to talk about the .json blockstate system.

Day 1 was re-learning the tools and making strange box-people.


The mod has come together in two days, just about. I can't really justify more Minecraft modding time at the moment, so I'm going to load what I have onto our server and park any more development for the time being. I'll put the source on GitHub so that other players can take a look or download the jar and give it a go. It's very cross-mod dependent and requires you to have a lot of specific mods to get it fully working, so it may not be the most useful mod out of the box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Me!

Something's Brewing in the Tentacle Zone

Ludum Dare 46 - O Captain! My Captain!