Blender Adventures - I Guess I'm an Artist Now

Getting a Unity project from the jam phase into something more long-lived is really tough and I've been struggling to motivate myself to make progress recently. There are fairly obvious holes in the foundation of the game that I know I should fill first; ship controls, interaction code and all that.

Today though, I wanted to make something shiny; a distinct visual upgrade over the janky modelling tools I've been using so far. I had opened Blender on Friday and made some first steps with the sculpting tools, so I already had this lumpy crocodile head as a placeholder to work with.


The first experiment this morning was into using bones to stretch a mesh to allow character customisation. I learnt a lot about bones, implemented this random body changer, and then realised that there were much better tools for the job.



Following a tutorial from Minions Art I learnt about Blender's blend shapes and shrinkwrap. There's a lot to digest here, but from what I've seen so far, I can probably make good use of blend shapes for my character customiser, and they port over to Unity!

That's all boring and technical though. What's really exciting is that I sculpted a head and it actually looks fairly good for a first pass. It has certainly got the project looking more like a real game!

  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is Me!

Something's Brewing in the Tentacle Zone

Ludum Dare 46 - O Captain! My Captain!